The Walking Dead’s Negan
“Eeny Meeny Minie Moe.”
If you don’t watch The Walking Dead, then you probably wouldn’t know who Negan is. He is the latest villain in the show centered around people trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. Negan is in charge of The Saviors, a rival group who bullies and forces other colonies of survivors to hand over their supplies and weapons each week. He runs the most ruthless group of survivors in the apocalypse and is Rick Grimes’s, the main character of the show, biggest enemy.
Negan isn’t my most favorite villain of all time, solely because I don’t really enjoy his dialogue and demeanor, but because I had his entire outfit already in my wardrobe, I thought it would be fun to dress up as him during the Halloween season. The new The Walking Dead season just returned, as well, so it was the perfect time to dress up as one of the most hated WD characters.
I also dressed up as him because my dad is obsessed with Negan. He loves the character so much that he bought a replica of Negan’s bat, Lucille, just so he can have it in the house. Because he had an authentic prop of Negan’s, I knew I had to dress up as him, once autumn rolled around.
What You’ll Need to get Negan’s Look
- A leather jacket: I got my faux-leather jacket from Target a few years back, but many stores carry faux-leather jackets that you can buy. Some stores include Forever 21, H&M, Macy’s, and Target. I think my jacket, from Target, only cost around $20.
- A plain white t-shirt: Underneath Negan’s jacket, he always wears a white t-shirt that is sometimes seen in certain episodes. For the specific photos I took, I kept my jacket zipped up to cover the shirt, but you can wear it unzipped since Negan does that often.
- Grey jeans: Negan always wears dark grey jeans with his outfit which hardly ever changes. I got my grey jeans at a local store called Mandee, but you can find them virtually anywhere you buy jeans.
- Black combat boots: Combat boots are a must for any Walking Dead cosplay. Most characters wear boots to run around in while they kill zombies, and Negan is no different. I adore my combat boots, and I wear them throughout all of autumn and winter. I believe I got them from Target for around $20.
- A red scarf: Negan’s signature piece to wear is his red scarf that he keeps tucked in the opening of his jacket. I used one of my mother’s red scarfs for the outfit and it matched perfectly with Negan’s. My mother said she got the red scarf in a dollar store, but I’m sure you can find a thin red scarf on Amazon as well.
- Negan’s Bat, Lucille: My dad bought this replica bat on Ebay because he is obsessed with Negan’s bat. I’m not sure how much it cost him, but if you don’t want to spend the money on his bat, you can use a regular one to take photos with! Just remember that you can’t carry that around in public because it can be seen as a weapon, so be careful.
I really did not go overboard with the makeup for Negan. They are trying to survive the apocalypse; they’re not worried about looking nice.
So, I simply put on some:
- BB creme
- A dark nude Colourpop liquid lipstick called Calypso
- Liquid eyeliner
I wanted the look to be subtle and not that flashy so I didn’t go overboard with the makeup. Also, if you want to make your look a little creepier, I’d recommend putting splatters of blood on your face and neck because Negan is always getting into a fight and has blood on him.
Negan’s outfit is incredibly comfortable to wear, and if I ever went back to Walker Stalker Con, I’d wear this outfit again. There’s nothing heavy or uncomfortable because his outfit is made up of everyday clothing items that you can find in any clothing store. I loved wearing this outfit because it consisted of clothes that I already owned and wore. It’s not that hot to wear, and, as long as you have comfortable boots, I’m sure you can wear it all day, if you had to.
That’s all folks! I hope you enjoyed this little cosplay blog post about how to dress up as Negan from The Walking Dead! Let me know if you want to see more of these because I dress up as characters a lot throughout the year! Xx Olivia